I have a passion for healthy eating and I am always on the hunt for simple yet tasty recipes to prepare each day. I came across a variation of this sandwich a few months ago on Youtube, but I added some ingredients to make it more filling for when I eat it for lunch or dinner. I eat this at least once a week and it takes less than five minutes to prepare if you have all of the ingredients on hand. There are several fun ways to prepare this recipe. See below for variations.
Smoked Salmon Open Faced Sandwich (One serving size)
You Will Need:
1 “Sandwich Thins” Multi-Grain Roll
1/2 of an Avocado, sliced, chopped, or mashed
1 Roma Tomato, sliced
1 teaspoon of Fresh Lemon Juice
Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste (not pictured)
1. Take one sandwich thin multi-grain roll and split it in half. This will give you two slices.
2. Take your avocado and distribute it evenly between the two slices of the roll.
3. Take your tomato slices and distribute them evenly on the two slices of the roll.
4. Take out one serving of smoked salmon from the packet and distribute it evenly on the two slices of the roll. (You can freeze the rest in a ziploc bag and use it up later)
5. Drizzle the top of the salmon with lemon juice
6. Grind some fresh black pepper over the top of the completed sandwich.
- Make it vegan/vegetarian friendly by omitting the smoked salmon and adding a crumbled meat-substitute patty on top (I like to use Morningstar Farms’ Black Bean Veggie Burger Patty).
- Use a chopped hard boiled egg instead of the smoked salmon (smoked salmon can be high in sodium so a boiled egg is a great substitute).
- Sprinkle on some flax seed or very good quality extra virgin olive oil.
- Jazz up your avocado by adding diced red onions and some cilantro (or guacamole if you have some).
- Lightly toast the sandwich rolls in a toaster to give the sandwich a crunchy texture.
-Add mayonnaise or your favorite sandwich toppings.
Let me know if you try this recipe!