Sidenote: I cannot believe that January is almost half over already! 2014 flew by and it looks like 2015 is following that same trend.
I do not set New Year’s Resolutions. I am a firm believer in the idea that when you try and put strict parameters on yourself as to what you “MUST DO,” you can fall into a pattern of being super critical of yourself and being generally disappointed. Instead, I like to set New Year’s Intentions. These intentions are a set of 5-6 general areas that I would like to focus on in the upcoming year. I find that this structure allows me to be more flexible when pursuing new goals and ideas and also helps to empower myself to do new things. I also like to make vision boards, but I’m still working on one for 2015.
Here are my New Year’s Intentions for 2015. I have decided to go for 5 this time around:
1. Polish: I am not someone who is super fashionable or who likes makeup or fancy things (although I could spend hours watching other people obsess about fashion and beauty on Youtube!) I absolutely abhor shopping and have to bribe myself with the promise of buying a snack at the food court to get myself to step foot in a mall. However, this year, I definitely want to work on being more polished and developing a signature style. I have been reading a lot about capsule wardrobes, but I don’t necessarily like the idea of paring down my wardrobe to a certain number of items. I prefer to just buy things that I love rather than buying trends.
2. Believe: There is a very big difference between knowing something and believing something (I’m writing a post on this soon!) and I want to be a believer. That means that I have to take action on more things and have faith that everything will work out in the end.
3. Express: I have a very bad habit of censoring myself. All of last year I found this to be especially true when I was writing. I literally could not bring myself to blog because I was writing about things that I felt that other people wanted to read, but I was not writing things that I was really passionate about. I took some time out to re-focus and re-brand, and now I look forward to sharing more about myself and the reasons why I originally started this blog. I also want to write more poetry. Sometimes a whole poem would pop into my head but I would brush it off or say that I would write it down later, only to completely forget and lose the poem. I am going to start compiling all of my poems and hopefully share some of them here on the blog.
4. Connect: I recently moved (yes, again. I’ll talk more about this in another post) and I am in a rural area far away from civilization and my former fast-paced East Coast lifestyle. I want to connect with more people by pursuing my hobbies including yoga, rock climbing, and travel. I also would like to have a series on this blog where I interview other bloggers and/or people following their passions and ask them questions about how they got to where they are and the challenges they faced. Connecting with like-minded people is definitely a big goal for me.
5. Open: This fifth intention kind of ties in with the other four. I want to be more open and authentic this year. My goal is to pursue my passions, live out loud, and challenge myself to leave my comfort zone. I have already set a challenge for myself to travel more and write more and I am looking forward to 2015!
What are your intentions for 2015? Do you set new year’s resolutions? Comment below and let me know!